Re: Mac upgrade advice needed

Subject: Re: Mac upgrade advice needed
From: "inaudio" inaudio
Date: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:23 am (PDT)
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi Vicky- If your software needs (and the mandatory upgrades) are
> modest, you might as well consider a current or almost current model.
> A low-end desktop, or laptop.

Vicki, I suggest a refurbished G4 of whichever model suits you best. I moved up
from a
9500 with G3 processor to G4 Dual 1.25 MHz and a G4 Powerbook last January, and
state
of the art 2003 works for me just perfectly. I'm one who dwells way behind the
cutting
edge, and this gear is proven and reliable!

A lot of people buy into using the newest and fastest, but I see them having
headaches
learning all the quirks and incompatibilities, so I am perfectly happy using
G4s and OS
Message: 10.
Subject: 3.9. I am a professional audio engineer, doing live sound and
recording and making
CDs for musicians and spoken word such as audiobooks, meditations, and nature
recordings, and I work with Protools LE and Peak, and I rarely have to mess
around with
the computer instead of getting my work done.

ALWAYS max the RAM - put in as much memory as your Mac will hold, as OS X
wastes
much of it with gewgaws and bells and whistles. I will never use Tiger, I like
it leaner than
that, just my preference...

Good luck! Keep up posted, and write me offlist if you'd like more Mac audio
resources.

Lou