DIY Jecklin Disc Vs NT4

Subject: DIY Jecklin Disc Vs NT4
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Mon Jun 5, 2006 11:04 am (PDT)
--- In  "tk7859" <> wrote:

m("btinternet.com/my_photos","//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g0sbw");">http:

> Some of you might note the album "Jecklin Disc" in the above photos
> URL.  This shows photos of a work in progress but not yet reported on.

>I will report on this
> project shortly including comparison of the DIY project with my NT4.

Hi All

As mentioned above I have now made test recordings using the jeclin
disc and the NT4 to record Yesterday's dawm chorus (which seemed to
have been hijacked by cuckoos).

I used two MZ-NH1s each set to rec. vol. 23 and PCM recording.  The
mics were set up 8 ft. from the wall of my house looking into the back
garden.   In line with the mics was a small birdbath fed by a small
water flow.  This birdbath was 16ft. to the left of the Jecklin and 8
ft. to the left of the NT4

A two minute MP3, comprising one minute of the Jecklin followed by a
minute of NT4 (both minutes starting with the closing of a kitchen
door) shows the Jecklin to be more sensitive than the NT4.  These are
exactly as taken from the minidisc and are at:

m("btinternet.com/comparison1.mp3","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

The same recordings with an attempt to achieve similar sound levels is:

m("btinternet.com/Comparison2.mp3","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

I suppose I prefer the NT4 but the Jecklin has its surprises (note:
my high frequency hearing is seriously challenged and I cannot hear
any hiss etc. associated with the capsules used in the Jecklin).

It is to be noted that the NT4 is 350 times more expensive than the
two capsules used in the Jecklin, and the NT4 is cardioid and the
capsules omnis.

I am sufficiently intrigued by the performance of the Jecklin to try
it again in the future with something like a pair of AT3032s, when I
have enough in the piggybank - what do you think?

I apologise in advance for any problems you may have  with the
geocities FTP site asking you to "try again later".

Cheers

Tom Robinson

BTW  Any ideas about the cafuffle between the cuckoos and ? that
occurs at the beginning and end of the excerpts.  The cuckoos seem to
have moved in on the regular spots used by the blackbirds.