Re: FR2 Power Solutions

Subject: Re: FR2 Power Solutions
From: "tk7859"
Date: Fri Jun 2, 2006 3:52 am (PDT)
--- In  "Lindsay Cargill"
<> wrote:

> Ideally looking for about min 5 hours max 9/10 hours in field. I
> would always have access to a power point at the end of each day.
> The stuff could get used up to 3-4 times per week at certain times
> of year.
>
> After what I have spent I don't want to spend 100's (at this stage)
> on power if possible - one quote from a company here for charger,
> lithium batt and regulator was =A3499 ( $ 900 ) !!!! Was good stuff
> though, lasting 14 hours on one
> charge ;-)

Hi Linz and the Group

I believe the FR2 accepts 12V external powering.

You might want to look at the rechargeable, nickel metal hydride
battery packs used by model aircraft, boat ,car builders.  I use ready
made 12V 3.3Ahr packs to power my backpackable amateur radio
equipment.  They consist of 10 "sub" C batteries connected in series
in a suitably robust package and have a lead attached.

one can be seen in the foreground of this picture.

m("btinternet.com/detail?.dir","//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g0sbw");=3D53f7&.d=">http:=3D53f7&.d=
nm=3Df813.jpg&.src=3Dph

They cost from =A335 to =A360 depending on capacity and quality
(manufacturer). A suitable, quality, automatic charger should be less
than =A3100.

I don't know how hungry the FR2 is but I think one, or two of these
packs would meet your requirements.

They are good because there is no sledge requirement.  Just put the
pack in your pocket and change to a another when the first is exhausted.

Cheers

Tom Robinson