Re: Costa Rica Recording Workshop?

Subject: Re: Costa Rica Recording Workshop?
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:43 pm (PDT)
Hey Doug, are you still thinking of making this trip? I'm definitely
interested if so. Haven't seen mention of it lately, and was curious
if you're still thinking of doing it.

I've been wanting to go to Costa Rica for a long time. The real
problem would be deciding what gear to take!

Tim Nielsen

On May 6, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Doug Von Gausig wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am considering putting together a Costa Rican recording workshop.
> I've
> been recording in Costa Rica for several years, and have decided
> that it's
> time to share the wealth! The soundscapes in CR are incredibly
> varied, rich
> and exotic. Jungle sounds, exotic birds and reptiles, even
> volcanoes are on
> the sound pallet. For photographers, there's just nothing like it
> on earth.
>
> I'm thinking that a 10-day trip (maybe 2 weeks, depending on
> participation)
> is in order, and we could visit 3-5 different unique locales during
> that
> time. I'd anticipate recording maybe 200 species of birds during
> that time,
> probably 20 amphibians (Smoky Jungle frog, Tink Frogs, Poison Dart
> frogs).
> In the evenings we could get together and discuss our recordings, get
> expert identifications, learn about the Central American
> ecosystems, etc.
>
> Preliminarily I'd suggest a couple of days at Tortuguero, on the
> Caribbean
> coast, a couple around Puerto Viejo de Limon, on the southern
> Caribbean
> near the Panamanian border, a few around Volcan Arenal, an active
> volcano
> with rich biodiversity surrounding it, and finishing off in the
> Carara/Savegre/Manuel Antonio area. Alternatives are the Monteverde
> area,
> the high Cordilleras in the center of the country, and the southern
> pacific
> area of Corcovado National Park. Anywhere we go we would have an
> incredible
> array of natural sound.
>
> I'd like to get 10-15 people together for this trip, probably in
> October or
> November, when the rains are less and the birds are active, but I'm
> open to
> suggestions as to venues, times, etc.
>
> I will make all the arrangements for transportation from Phoenix,
> rental
> cars, meals and lodging while in country and return to Phoenix. Those
> wishing to leave from their city may have to handle some of those
> arrangements so as to arrive in San Jose (actually Alajuela) in
> time to
> meet up with us. I will also engage guides where needed.
>
> Who's up for the recording trip of your life?
>
> Doug
> p.s. to whet your appetite a bit, listen to some of my sounds from
> Costa
> Rica at http://www.naturesongs.com/CRsounds.html, and on Dave
> Ross's page
> at http://www.costaricanbirds.com/. For more information on
> CR:  http://centralamerica.com/cr/parks/ and
> http://www.manuelantoniopark.com/mapk/default.asp and many more!
> [...]

"But if we've already been born, there's nothing to be done about it,
we must live for a little."

             -Venedikt Erofeev