Re: How would you clean up this file?

Subject: Re: How would you clean up this file?
From: "Dana Blackmer" danablackmerphd
Date: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 pm (PDT)
Clay,

I am also interested in how one might decrease insect noise while
recording, particularly mosquito noises, which most people experience as
having it fly right in your ear.  It may be "natural," but I seldom find it=

desirable.

I've thought about the idea of somehow suspending a tent of "no see-em"
type netting, like they use in tents, around the mics.  Wouldn't this
decrease the volume of the noise by the square of the distance to the
mics?  For instance, if a mosquito flies 6" from the mic to produce a
certain volume, then the bug-to-mic distance was doubled to 12" due the the=

netting, wouldn't the volume drop by two times the distance squared - in
other words, would it not produce a sound 1/4 as loud?

If so, this may be a way to at least minimize the "get the mosquitos out of=

my ears" feeling.  The trick, it seems to me, is how to construct and
suspend a "net blimp" over the mics.  I'm sure someone out there has done
something similar or better.  Maybe they'll enlighten us!

Dana

At 11:08 PM 6/26/2006 +0000, you wrote:

>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=