Re: was Problem mic, no sound

Subject: Re: was Problem mic, no sound
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:39 am (PDT)
Hi David--
Perhaps something has changed in the manufacturing, but these
interchangeable capsules have been around for years. They're even
grouped as options:
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WirelessMicrophones/us_pro_WL183_con=
tent

Dealers in the US also sell the capsules and cables at a wide range
of prices and in different packages so one has to know model
number(s) involved and refer to Shure's web site to confirm what one
is getting.  It looks like we are witnessing the need for buyers
around the world to share dealer and customs info.  Currently, the
best price I can find in the US is
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WL183/ . A larger dealer, like
B&H in New York City, might ship internationally regularly. I could
use some education about these things too.

If the noise is frequently there, I'd go ahead, with patience, and
swap the capsules. It seems like you've narrowed it down to either
the cable or the capsule. Once you know that the noise is in the
cable, I'd try to locate (maybe with the help of other recordists in
that part of the world) a way to buy the C122 cable or cable/capsule
pair at more competitive pricing and order one. Then I'd try to open
the head and replace the whole length of wire altogether. Keep all
unshielded lengths of wire at bare minimum. The risk is always RFI,
Radio Frequency Interference. Like I wrote before, if you eliminate
the xrlm's and go right to 3.5mm stereo plug, your wiring job is
simpler,.. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson