mystery sound

Subject: mystery sound
From: "" st=
ephenvitiello
Date: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:27 am (PDT)

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify the producer of a sound on
these two short clips. I was recording in a marsh in James River State
Park (Buckingham County, VA) just before dark. I had the mic on a boompole
stuck through some trees facing the water so I couldn't see very clearly.
There's the usual insects and frogs but then this higher breathy whooping
sound comes in. I'm not sure if it's an owl of some sort or just a bird I
hadn't heard before. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Stephen