Re: MKH question

Subject: Re: MKH question
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:22 am (PDT)
Posted by: "Derek Holzer"

> I recently got a used MKH 30, and on listening to it I found that it had=

> some occasional pops and sputters audible above the normal noise floor
> of the mic. They are audible with a gain of 60 dB or so, using with both=

> my SD 722 and RME QuadMic preamps, and with different cables. I sent the=

> mic to Sennheiser Germany for service and they said there wasn't a
> problem and sent it back. So, my question is: am I being too picky or
> was their service center in a hurry? What kind of spec should this mic
> provide, and has anybody else had a similar situation?

This is not normal for a MKH-30, their self noise is a very smooth
paaaaah sound.

You need to verify that it's actually from the mic and not something
from cabling, a poor contact in a XLR, your phantom power, etc. If it's
from the mic for sure, then record the sound and send that along with
the mic to Sennheiser.

I know that here in the US you can call Sennheiser and talk to their
techs about a problem. If they know what they are looking for it's
easier. On a intermittent I'd definitely call.