Re: Sonograms for Mac

Subject: Re: Sonograms for Mac
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:23 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Derek Holzer"  derekatumaticdotnl

> Have a look at Ceres3, another great piece of free software from the
> Linux/Open Source world which has been ported to OSX:
>
> http://www.music.columbia.edu/~stanko/About_Ceres3.html

Not exactly free, you have to have a programming workshop on your
computer to put it together from source code. And the time to do all
that. That's one of the big problems with open source, if you don't like
programming or are not set up to do it, it's pretty poor. The focus
seems more on computers as a hobby than for those of use who simply want
to use computers with minimum hassle for our actual non-computer
interest. Open source folks also seem to lack any sense of making
interfaces smooth and functional. That has made the open source programs
I've tried pretty slow to use. I came to the conclusion that working
with computers via programming was just eating way too much of my time
and causing too much aggravation.

> I don't know if the sonograms are print quality, but they are much nicer=

> than the ones you get from SoundHack.

However, Ceres 3 appears to be focused on changing the sound rather than
analysis, and is mono only. The documentation is a bit to sort out so I
could not find anything that talked about doing or adjusting sonograms.
Most displays shown were single points in time, not displays over time
as sonograms are. Sonograms show frequency intensity over time.