Re: Stereo Patterns

Subject: Re: Stereo Patterns
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 00:58:14 -0500
At 9:43 AM -0700 5/2/06, Kim Cascone wrote:
>On Apr 29, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>

>  > https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/temporary/
>  > MicPreClarity125-700HzTest.mov
>>
>Rob any chance of seeing a bird's eye view diagram of the mic
>placements in relation to the location? very nice recording btw
>KIM

Hi Kim--
Thanks.
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/temporary/20040613LOCrowLake_Array.gif

Maybe Greg Rademacher or Rich Peet can pin-point the spot with more
precision on a google map or coordinates. The lapping in both
channels is from two separate, moored boats about 80' from each
respective mic.  The land is rocky and fairly flat. There were small
to medium-sized softwood trees somewhat sparsely distributed back a
bit from the shore. As best as I can tell, the echos from the dog
bark are from the rocky faces of islands across the lake in several
directions. The islands rise about ~15-20 feet above the water if I
recall correctly.  The two channels in this  demo movie were intended
as the rear channels in the 4 channel surround recording. A
Sennheiser 40/30 mid side pair was used as the side the NT1-A's, near
the cottage.

The space in remote Canada @~4am is very open and very quiet, Yet,
the recording's lower mid registers are filled with many exaggerated
tones that seem to rise more out of the gear's limitations than local
sound sources/acoustics per se. The Rode NT1-A's were run through a
Sound Devices MP-2 mic pre and then into a RME multiface recorded at
24/48K. These exaggerations were even more pronounced in the mkh
pair.  Rob D.

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."