Relective properties for DIY projects

Subject: Relective properties for DIY projects
From: "Secomb's"
Date: Sun May 21, 2006 2:49am(PDT)
Hi all
There have been a variety of DIY projects that have been floating
around. Which material that is used is essential component of any such
project. I have been under the assumption that harder and smoother the
material, the greater the sound would be reflected.  To me  Rich making
a cube array  with wood made sense but a softer material  such as high
density foam  will result in less sound reflected  towards the mic.  The
concept of  emphasising a particular range of frequency is interesting.
A little while ago, a mouse pad was used as a Jenklin disk (I think).
Again a softer material with a slight texture will give less dB when
compared to wood for instance .
With those more experienced in sound recording is there a rule of thump
what are the reflective properties of a variety of  material that is
used in DIY projects. It appears not only the degree of sound that is
reflected to consider, the tonal quality is also important.

David