FW: Re: binaural stuff

Subject: FW: Re: binaural stuff
From: "derek holzer"
Date: Fri May 26, 2006 0:23pm(PDT)
This mail is forwarded from Aaron Ximm in response to my questions about
binaural mics. Since there was so much interest in the topic, and because
Aaron agreed, I am forwarding his responses.

best,
derek

Aaron Ximm wrote:

Hi Derek,

Yeah, saw your queries, didn't know if I wanted to drag out my own tired
opinions again... :)  I guessed you already knew I have used the Sonic
Studios DSM-6S/EHs extensively and really love them. Fwiw I think they're
better all-situation mics than the DSM-1s. I have both and always take the
6's as my "desert island" mics. The different in sensitivity is not going
to save a quiet-ambiance recording and I'd rather have the headroom.

Re: 722 (I love mine!) and HiMD, I trust you've seen Rob Danielson et al's
analysis of the preamps. The HiMD is in the same class in terms of noise
and gain as the 722 -- I won't say "quality" but noise will not come from
there. :)

The Shures and DPAs are going to be quieter than the DSMs but none of
these little mics is going to be as quiet as seriously quiet mics like my
new Sennheiser MKHs. The Telingas look like a really interesting option
but I've never used them and my impression is Klas is hand making them for
people, that they're not really productized at the moment.

If money is *truly* no object I'd also consider the Schoeps CMC mics with
the active cables and detatched capsules. Not as small as these but
potentially very quiet and with that much-loved Schoeps "sound." I've
considered both those and the stratospherically expensive similarly
designed DPAs, but never used them. The mounting/windscreening/etc. would
be significanly harder with these but you could actually do a headmount
with them.

Btw I would strongly urge you to invest in a Sonic Studios WHB with extra
socks (get Leonard to double-sock them, then get a pair or two of extras
for later as well) *regardless* of your mic selection (all of these should
fit tho the Shures would be a bit tougher, I can check for you if they
would really fit). The convenience factor, stealth, and insulation from
wind and handling is *really* worth it. The DSMs wouldn't be nearly as
great without this. If you're pinching pennies you can fab your own (I've
done so and directed others with designs based on wire cork retainers from
champagne bottles) but Leonard's is a great design and handmade.

Fwiw I like the HEBs not because of the little drop in noise -- tho there
is one relative to the DSMs -- but because they can be used as true
binaural mics, I can tuck them in my ear canals. Not always convenient but
it is cool.

Worn in head baffled omni pseudo/near/true binaural, image will be similar
in all these. Leonard does a great job matching his "S" capsules. Len's
was fine with the HEBs as well. I haven't rigorously checked the Shures
but they seem OK.

None of the options you mention will work directly off phantom; all will
require powering boxes (except maybe the raw DPAs, don't know about that).
That's an extra $75 or so. Fwiw I got a cable from Core that adapts 1/8"
stereo mini to dual XLR to get into my 722. I'd recommend going that route
anyway, so you can always plug direct into your backup [Hi]MD -- which I
*know* you will carry for when the battery on the 722 dies or the drive
fills up -- right? ;)

Overall I'd say you can do fine recordings with all of these, but if
you've used really quiet mics or want really quiet ambiance you have to be
realistic that none of these is probably going to be as clean as you want
-- but then, even the best gear isn't.

The flipside is that as I'm sure you've heard me say, the *ease* of
carrying mics like this everywhere is so much more than a conventional
boom/suspension/etc... you've already shot yourself with your giant heavy
722 tho, so... :)

My experience has been that 95% of the time for my generalist interests
the noise is not an issue. I invested a *lot* of money last year to chase
that final 5% and still will end up with the wrong (ie, easy to use and
carry) gear when I need it... so...

Will be curious to hear what diection you go!

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

  |  quod omne animal post   |