RH-1 mic pre gain (was RH1 Hi-MD manual available

Subject: RH-1 mic pre gain (was RH1 Hi-MD manual available
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Mon May 29, 2006 6:57pm(PDT)
At 11:11 PM +0000 5/29/06, Andrew Carter wrote:
re:
>...on my old 900. Record quality
>seems good - I suspect that my recording level is set slightly lower
>than before - but this would need to be tested.

Thanks Andrew for giving your RH1 a thorough look-over and for making
the report. Your comment about mic pre gain does strikes some fear
that, indeed, a simple test could settle. Your NH-900 and RH1 could
be set at maximum gain in a place with a steady, fairly quiet
background and run for 10-15 minutes with the same mics, back to
back. Pick the quietest short section from each 10-15 test (the
thinnest sections of the waveforms) and play them back to back. Any
pre gain difference should result in a playback volume difference.
Its especially useful that you can make the comparison with a NH900,
a well tested model. If you don't want to mess with a test, no
problem. I'm sure someone can do it before the RH-1's are widely
available. It must be great knowing you can upload early MD
recordings so easily and digitally. Thanks again. Rob D.