woodpecker drums. IBW original range & WVA lead on IBW

Subject: woodpecker drums. IBW original range & WVA lead on IBW
From: "Richard Lyttle" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:23:33 -0400
"The Ivory-billed Woodpecker was once found in virgin forests throughout much
of the southeastern United States and up the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers at
least as far north as St. Louis."

John Muir wrote he found them up the tributaries in the plains to the foot of
the rockies, I read.

http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/demo/account/Ivory-billed_Woodpecker/

Rich, the wood drumming is really a beautiful recording! sounds not like
red-bellied for sure. thank you for posting it.

Back to IBW's. Robin, I turned in a fairly credible lead on IBW sightings in
southern West Virginia in 2003 to Cornell lab before the IBW flap of Feb. 2004
broke. I had 3 college-educated locals saying they thought they had seen ( in 2
locations 20 miles apart on the Greenbriar River ) an IBW flying across the
river.

and I had a local guy there tell me a story that his grandad took him to a
place there in 1982 and called in 2 IBW's and he saw them clatter beaks, move
up and down the tree like nuthatches and chatter together. He said they were
very furtive. all these folks know pileated well and insist they were not
pileateds. the locals down there call pileateds wood hens and used to shoot,
eat them. the area had lots of dying chesnut hulks back then and is still quite
remote. their descriptions they gave to me are intriguing!

John Muir called IBW's the late risers of the woodpeckers saying he did not see
them till around 9am, he wrote. also JM said the number one condition for IBW's
was if there were healthy amounts of other woodpeckers in the area that would
be good locations to see IBW's.

i love the thought of seeing an IBW once and will always look.

best, rip lyttle
takoma park, md