Re: Damaged MiniDiscs

Subject: Re: Damaged MiniDiscs
From: "Jaap de Jong" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:53:53 -0000
Hi Dominique,

I know all about delay myself.
It's always frustrating when recordings get lost. You just want to
know how to handle this problem. TOC and MD are very picky sometimes.
There are occasions in which I remember it seems necessary to manually
write the TOC before you proceed (recording or ejecting a disc.),
because some recorders forget to do so themselves once in a while. Not
very scientific either, however not uncommon. The data could actually
be on the disc, but accessing it can be a disaster.

I have no experience with Portadiscs but Sony and Pioneer -though
consumergear- encounter the same problems. The Tascam MD-801R (MKII),
pro-editing machine, tackles this (U)TOC problem most of the time and
*can* recover data from discs 'recorded' in other equipment. The
science behind it? Well, I cannot tell, but I received a lot of kisses
for recovery work ;)

I live nextdoor (in Amsterdam) ;) So we could meet in the future
maybe. Send an MD if you like. Recently I discovered your site and the
beautiful songbird recordings of yours. I am very interested in
birdsong, lately. Especially blackbird, nightingale, wren etc. Only a
pity for the spring being so late this year. And...I have a passion
for wind through structures, grass and especially wind through pine
trees, so if you have something for me like that online (or even on MD
:-P) I would be most grateful.

All the best from Amsterdam,

Jaap

 --- In  "Laloux, Dominique"