Greetings, and microphone question!

Subject: Greetings, and microphone question!
From: Andrew Skeoch <>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:06:12 +1000
Hello everyone,

I am a new member here, and probably should have been long ago!
Special greetings to those of you I know, and I look forward to being
a part of this forum.

A brief intro; I live in Australia, have been nature recording for
nearly 15 years, and run a CD label to retail our recordings
(Listening Earth: http://www.listeningearth.com). For my partner
Sarah & I, this is our full-time business, and despite Australia
being a smallish retail market, we seem to be doing OK. In addition
to a range of Australian soundscape albums, in recent years we have
been to SE Asia and India, and begun publishing material from those
locations. Equipment wise, I have recently bought a 722, after using
a D10 DAT for many years. I usually cross a pair of Sennheiser
MKH60s; I love their warmth and quiet noise floor, and find the
crossing a satisfactory and reasonably versatile stereo solution for
the time being. However, when the budget allows, I look forward to
exploring other stereo configurations.

I do not consider myself very technically knowledgeable, so I'm
appreciating the info being posted here that I've read so far. On
that note, a quick question if I may:

I have an old SONY ECM959-DT stereo mic (that came with the D10
originally), and use it for the occasional non-critical moments;
urban sounds, interviews...  Plugged directly into the 722 (using a
pair of Hoser jack to XLR adaptors, and with the recorder's phantom
off of course, as the mic runs off an internal AA battery), and so
using only the 722's mic pres, I am getting a noticeably grainy noise
floor, very central mono and distinctly additional to the mic's self-
noise. If I use my old pair of external pre-amps (Moortronics) simply
to boost the signal to line, and switch over to line in on the 722,
the noise floor cleans up to what I am used to of this mic. One
person I spoke to about this suggested that the mic's internal DC may
be leaking back to the recorder when plugged in directly. Is this
likely to be the source of the problem, or may their be another reason?

Any assistance appreciated.

And greetings from Down Under!

Andrew Skeoch

Listening Earth P/L