Re: (gear) Sound Professionals SP-Gigatracker (long msg)

Subject: Re: (gear) Sound Professionals SP-Gigatracker (long msg)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:32:02 -0500
At 3:30 AM +0000 4/20/06, oryoki2000 wrote:
>"scyeon2002" asked for information about the SP-Gigatracker, a $489
>recorder assembled by Sound Professionals.  The recorder is described
>here:
>www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GIGATRACKER
>
>This is an interesting alternative to a conventional field recorder,
>and one that this group has not discussed before.  So I will describe
>it in some detail.
>
>--oryoki
>
>-------------------------
>
>The SP-Gigatracker is composed of a mic preamp made by Sound
>Professionals (SP) and an Archos GMINI 402 recorder with 20GB hard
>disc.  The two units are packaged in a waterproof case small enough to
>carry in a jacket pocket.  According to SP, the package can record
>tracks for up to 9 hours without recharging batteries.
>

>Preamp:
>The preamp has two volume sliders and switch-selectable gain. A
>maximum of +50dB is available for quiet nature sounds.  You can choose
>a setting of +29dB or 0dB as needed to avoid overloading the preamp
>input with loud sounds (close thunder, ocean surf, or a waterfall, for
>example).
>
>The SP web page lists the preamp signal-to-noise ratio as 115 dBu EIN
>(unweighted). This is a respectable figure.  SP claims the preamp has
>lower self-noise than the preamp of a minidisc recorder.  Perhaps
>Bruce W., Rob D., and others will comment about this.

Kim Cascone and I enjoyed a discussion about the 402 on the
microsound list. I very much like the idea of a small one-in-all
visual audio unit with a huge internal HD like the 402, but at this
point, for quality, HiMD and separate camera might be the better
solution.

Given a rating of -115 dBU EIN for the outboard pre, its not likely
to perform as well as mic pre in the Sony HiMD's. I can ask Chris at
SP about this claim. The 402's gain is considerably lower. Mic pre
gain =3D resolution for ambience quiet locations

<snip>
>Value for money:

<snip>

>The Sony Hi-MD recorder is another competitor... The Hi-MD preamp is
>pretty close to being as
>good,

If Chris's EIN spec is accurate, HiMD would be better. "Value" means
many things. It helps to specify priorities used.

>  the recorder is small enough to fit in a big shirt pocket, and
>it can be held and operated with one hand.  The Hi-MD recorder uses
>the same plug-in power mics as the SP-Gigatracker.
>
>At $489, Sound Professionals is charging too much for this recording
>ensemble.  SP sells the preamp and case, plus cable to interface with
>the Archos Gmini 402, for $199.  I found several online sources for
>the 402 in the $250 range.  So you can assemble your own system for
>$40 less.  That doesn't seem reasonable.
>
>If you're interested in a hard disc recorder with very good preamp

This unit will not support what we would consider to be low noise
mics without a Rolls or Art. -115 dBu EIN is "borderline" performance
for many of the condenser mics we use and it has modest gain for
field recording applications. This unit seems more like a "tapers"
rig than field recordists rig to me. Rob D.