Recording Crossbills

Subject: Recording Crossbills
From: "Lindsay Cargill" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:13:33 -0000
I have been recording Common, Scottish and Parrot Crossbills in
Deeside Scotland for the last 3 years as part of an ongoing personal
research project. The birds are identified to species and type from
sonograms.

I have so far used a cheap "short" gun mic which is basically a rip
off Audio Technica ATR55 and record on to a Sony MZ-710 and Sony MZ-
NH900 Mini Discs to record.

I am looking to seriously upgrade my equipment and need some final
expert advice before parting with the cash.

I have already decided to go for a ME67/K6 as a general mic but have
also decided to add a Telinga parabolic. I am also considering a
flash recorder, given the uncertain future of HiMD - I know a
flagship model MZ-R1 (? ) is due out and that this may be the last
one ? That said mini disc has served me well and I am happy with the
900.

So, my questions are :

What Telinga do I go for that will also work with MD (plug and play )
and but also be compatible with XLR inputs of a Marantz 660 etc ? I
assume using the 3.5 line-in is not a good idea ?

I was going to go for Pro5W twin science plug and play but assume
this is not good for a XLR type flash recorder ?

Do I need the Pro6 or a Pro5W Balanced ?

Sorry if I appear dorkish and these questions are basic but I don't
want to make a mistake given the cost of all these items ! I am sure
however, they will get used extensively in the field.

Any other comments or suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Kind regards,

Lindsay Cargill