Re: R-09, anyone?

Subject: Re: R-09, anyone?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:16:30 -0500
At 8:02 AM +0000 4/12/06, Fernando de Izuzquiza wrote:
>Hi all anyone tried the Edirol R09 yet?
>
>I'd like to know how it performs on it's integrated mics, I mean if
>it's at least usable as a
>casual nature recorder.
>
>BTOH I'd like to know how it sound with a good front-end like a
>SD302 or similar.
>
>Same questions for the MicroTrack.

Hi Fernando--
I don't think the Edirol R09's are on the shelf here yet. Perhaps
they are in Asia?  Even if the built-in electret capsules have Shure
WL-183-like quality, their performance would be compromised in a
small case.  A binaural mic rig would produce more interesting stereo
imagery. At this moment, one might consider waiting to see how the
small Fostex FR-2 LE is priced and hear how its pre performs. The
MicroTrack's mic pre is not suitable for quiet locations and the line
inputs are surprisingly noisy even if an external pre like a 302 was
an option. Quite a few recordists use an HiMD recorder and a pair of
Shure WL-183's wired for PIP (power in plug) for low profile
recording. This small proven package, though it requires fashioning a
rig for the mics, totals about $330-$350USD. The are some excellent
photos of WL-183 rigs in the group's photo section.  Rob D.