Re: Re: 16 KHz noise?

Subject: Re: Re: 16 KHz noise?
From: Steve Pelikan <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:28:49 -0400
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and information. I'm still
preplexed, but have reached a few conclusions.

Not having a TV, and having the noise appear in recordings made far away
from anything else
electronic has lead me to suspect  something other than a TV  is the
source.

I considered the possibility that the noise was introduced when I
transfered the recording to a PC,
but have since managed to get the noise when transfering with the
monitor (an LCD job) turned off
and the MD far away from the case of the PC, and so have tentatively
rejected that as the cause.

My current conjectures are
1) Perhaps something strange about the ATRAC compression (not too
likely, in my opinion) or
2) (as stoatwizard suggested) something about the way the mics are
powered (an external box with 9 V battery and a few tiny electronic bits
I haven't identified yet).

The problem isn't always reproducible which makes debugging hard.

Again, thanks for all the hints and suggestions!

Steve P