Re: I solved my mystery sound

Subject: Re: I solved my mystery sound
From: john parks <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:31:02 -0400 (EDT)
I WROTE:
  > Although there were millions and millions of dollars spent on this animals
vocalizations and millions more on Scientific Research i believe that i
captured a brand new vocalization. And although there are about 8 or more
vocals that this animal makes, mine is the only one out there with this
vocalization. I have a copyright but as you all know it's not worth a hill of
beans, with the copyright act being so slack.

> My question is, Where do i go from here?

  Aaron Ximm <> REPLYED
  The idea of spending millions(!) of dollars "on" a vocalization
literally makes no sense to me. I can't parse it. Can you explain what
you mean?

Are you asking, how can you make money off the fact that you've
figured out that species X makes sound Y?

Forgive me if I'm missing something but if so ~ that seems to be a
science (small s) question and as such a no-brainer. You should make
NO money. You should share your findings.

But maybe I'm just cranky since I haven't had my coffee yet!

best regards,
aaron

--

www.quietamerican.org

83% happy
9% disgusted
6% fearful
2% angry

  (Q)
  The idea of spending millions(!) of dollars "on" a vocalization
literally makes no sense to me. I can't parse it. Can you explain what
you mean?
  (A)
  I did a search on that one subject on this animal and got over 900,800 hits.
This animal has been, and will be studied to death. In just over 5 years, i
have spent over $ 30,000 of my own money and countless hours, trying to get
vocals.
  (Q)
  Are you asking, how can you make money off the fact that you've
figured out that species X makes sound Y?
(A)
  No, not at all. I will lose money on it. I,m not doing this for money.
  (Aaron)
                            You should make NO money.
  (Me)
  Like i said above. i will not. But i see no problem with people who make
money. I see you have your website in your post and i found this on your site.
  I am interested in invitations to perform, lecture, or present work.  Contact
me for event recording, audio portraiture, and sound design by commission.
  CD-Rs of my work and field recordings are $10 plus shipping and handling;
there is an order form on the <contact.html> page. I think you should make
money from your hard work. Good for you.
  (Aaron)
  You should share your findings.
  (Me)
  I think it would do more harm to the animal if i share it right now Aaron.
But in time i will.

  John Hartog said it best in his reply to my post."No harm in taking necessary
time to weigh consequences, document your
discovery, and identify the appropriate methods for releasing your
findings."

All the Best

  Johnny