Re: Ears and Mics (was: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited)

Subject: Re: Ears and Mics (was: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited)
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 21:49:15 -0700
Curt Olson, you wrote:

>We positioned the array in a
>large open field about 200 yards from a very active waterfowl pond,
>with mics oriented toward the pond. Later, playing back the center
>stereo pair, I noticed there was almost nothing there above 8khz,
>unlike other recordings I made that same day with that same pair.

To what are you attributing this phenomenon? An interference
cancellation from the ground reflection? That could make a "hole" in
the frequency response if all the sources were in the same horizontal
plane, but I wouldn't expect a low-pass effect, and my gut feeling is
that it wouldn't happen that high in the spectrum. Maybe an
atmospheric lensing effect?

Were the outrigger channels at the same height?

Also, the waterfowl I'm thinking of don't have much high frequency
stuff, at least not compared with forest and bush critters. You would
hear hf in the spashing, tho.

-Dan Dugan