Ears and Mics (was: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited)

Subject: Ears and Mics (was: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited)
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:53:07 -0500
This point was driven home again for me the other day on a recording I
made with Rich Peet. We set up a four-channel linear array at first
light and walked away for a couple hours. We positioned the array in a
large open field about 200 yards from a very active waterfowl pond,
with mics oriented toward the pond. Later, playing back the center
stereo pair, I noticed there was almost nothing there above 8khz,
unlike other recordings I made that same day with that same pair.

The flat soundscape never bothered me in the least while we were there
in it. The brain hears, compensates and interprets all in real time
while microphones simply respond to sonic impulses on the diaphragm. I
have to think that learning how to work with this -- and even take
advantage of it -- is one key to making more interesting field
recordings.

Curt Olson