Re: For your help

Subject: Re: For your help
From: Marc Myers <>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:49:33 -0400
Sadly no. your PD 170 has not-so-good preamps, a common feature of many
video cameras. Too bad because this is otherwise a great camera for
nature work.

A partial solution is to use a separate preamp. Sound Devices makes a
really good one at a fairly stiff price. Beachtecs are also popular in
the video community. For the best fix, Google the "Greg Winters Mod"
also called the "BBC mod." This is a physical modification of the camera
to bypass Sony's inexpensive electronics.