Re: seeking advice

Subject: Re: seeking advice
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:12:11 -0500
The MKH-70 is a fine mic. I wonder in this case whether the MKH-70
or this recorder combo is a maximizing investment?

Note that if the EIN spec Bruce computed for the HD-P2 of -116dBu EIN
is correct, using Rane Notes 148 Chart 3,  the lower noise of the
MKH-70 _should_ be masked (made inaudible) by the HD-P2's mic preamp:

Sennheiser MKH-70
5 dB(A)
50 mV/Pa
 From Rane Chart 148: -112 EIN  This mic would require a mic pre with
~ >-119 dBu EIN and the HD-P2 was computed at -116dBu EIN, only 4dB
less than the mic's self noise.

As for the ME-67, the noise of the pre is 6dB lower, so a bit of it
would likely creep into recordings made with this combo at high gain:

Sennheiser K6/ME67
10 dB(A)  (but I'm using 16dB(A) self noise because of some consensus
about this following Raimund's MT24/96 tests)
50 mV/Pa
 From Rane Chart 148:  -110 EIN

Of course, these are just numbers and tests could tell one much more,
but when so much money is involved, I'd rather se the numbers leaning
in my favor not suggesting a mismatch.  Rob D.

  = = = = =

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department