Carolinas Nature Sound Workshop/Conference in March, May or June, 2007

Subject: Carolinas Nature Sound Workshop/Conference in March, May or June, 2007
From: "Robin Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:58:11 -0400
Greetings all,

Many emails have been kicking around recently about having a nature sound
recording workshop or small conference somewhere in the Carolinas as soon as
possible. Several suggestions have been made. Here is my overview of what we
have suggested.

1. The meeting should be technical, but open to beginners. We need some
hands-on instruction for beginners, but it would also be good to have a
paper session and perhaps even a guest speaker.

2. It would be good to schedule this meeting sometime when birds and frogs
are calling, but not during April or early May (since birders are already
booked solid during those times).

3. It would be good to have a more or less central location in North
Carolina or South Carolina for this meeting.

4. The meeting should last about two or three days, perhaps over a weekend
(Friday through Sunday morning).

Various suggestions have been made for time and place. June seems to be the
preferred month (but late May or March would also work). Two main venues
have been suggested -- Duke University and Congaree National Park. Duke
would have good conference facilities, but so would Congaree National Park.
At Congaree NP the recording practicum could be held only a short walk from
the meeting place.

I have started preliminary inquiries into having such a workshop at Congaree
National Park in March, late May or early June, 2007. It is far too late to
get anything organized for this year (2006).

Other times or places might work. There is some appeal in going to the
mountains. We might be able to schedule something earlier on the coast in
winter. Even Congaree NP would be good for a winter conference since there
is quite a nice soundscape in winter in the park.

Now is the time for making your opinions and ideas known. Please feel free
to forward this to anyone who might be interested.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC USA