Re: preamp noise chart

Subject: Re: preamp noise chart
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:34:51 -0000
Rob D. wrote
> Wouldn't it benefit us...if we had a chart providing
> EIN specs for the popular recorders and mic preamp gain?

Here are mic input noise level figures I found from online sources.  I
know I shouldn't state a dB number without some reference information.
 These are the numbers the manufacturers provide.  This sounds
uncomfortably like "bad data are better than none."  But it's a
starting point.

The first list is sorted by suggested retail price.

Sony MZ-RH10...............  ??
M-Audio Microtrack.........  ??
Edirol R-1.................  63dB ?
Marantz PMD660.............  60dB
Marantz PMD670.............  65dBA
Marantz PMD671.............  65dB
Tascam HD-P2...............  55dB
Nagra ARES-M...............  90dBA
Core Sound PDAudio.........  135dB ?
Fostex FR-2................  87dB
HHB MDP500 Portadisc.......  122dB
Edirol R-4.................  90dB ?
Sony PCM-D1................  96 dB
Sound Devices 722..........  130dB
Nagra ARES-BB+.............  ??
Nagra Ares-PII+............  ??

It's generally true that when you pay more, you get quieter pre-amps.
You also get more useful features, like XLR connectors, phantom power,
pre-roll buffer, durable construction, controls that are easy to use
in the field, and so on.

The second list is my attempt to sort the recorders into categories by
performance in the field.  I have not personally used all these
recorders, so I'm relying on the reports of others, too.

"ok"
M-Audio Microtrack.........  ??
Marantz PMD660.............  60dB
Marantz PMD670.............  65dBA

"good"
Edirol R-1.................  63dB ?
Marantz PMD671.............  65dB
Tascam HD-P2...............  55dB

"better"
Sony MZ-RH10...............  ??
Nagra ARES-M...............  90dBA
Fostex FR-2................  87dB
Edirol R-4.................. 90dB ?

"best"
Core Sound PDAudio.........  135dB
HHB MDP500 Portadisc.......  122dB
Sound Devices 722..........  130dB
Nagra ARES-BB+.............  ??
Nagra Ares-PII+............  ??

There aren't enough data points to assign the Sony PCM-D1 to a
category, although early adopters are enthusiastic.

How would you sort out the current crop of field recorders?

--oryoki