Re: SD-722 "static?" Cell phones w/ off switches

Subject: Re: SD-722 "static?" Cell phones w/ off switches
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 05:43:08 -0500
At 10:01 PM 3/23/2006, you wrote:

>Through hard work I've managed to train myself to always turn off the
>phone when I don't want to be called --- primarily before going off to
>teach a class or give a lecture. But also before tyring to record something.
>
>I can just imagine  how vexing it'd to get a wrong number come in just
>as I'm about to document an Ivory-billed Woodpecker or tape the single
>song given by a Bachman's Warbler. Or even in the middle of a really
>nice Robin song like Jim posted the other day...
>
>Cheers!
>
>SP

While I was working on the EnjoyBirds recording phases in several tropical
countries, I had a similar dilemma.
I would be off alone on some trail around 6 AM near first light, recording
the dickens out of whatever came along, but I had to stay in touch by FRS
walkie-talkie with my wife -- functional rule number one (what with snakes,
scorpions, etc. you never know . . .). When she called (very seldom) the
blaring machine would not only disrupt the recording, but scare off
whatever I had just been stalking.

So I made a simple resistive-decoupled earphone patch box: one miniplug
cord from it was plugged into the audio out of the MD recorder, so I could
listen to the recording, one was into the FRS radio, silencing its bloody
little speaker, and my earphones plugged into the box itself (taped to the
recorder strap) with resulting very little attenuation of the birds
song.  The three times it worked were worth the extra effort, once at Monte
Verde, C.R. NOT interrupting a long recording of an Emerald Toucanet. Of
course I had to ANSWER the radio call, too, before the search parties arrived.

--  best regards,  Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
http://www.enjoybirds.com/