Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...

Subject: Re: Recording for loudspeaker playback...
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:48:40 -0600
Hi Curt--
Lang Elliot has written elegantly on binaural-headphone issues-
Bernie cites Lang's key argument in his book.

What you describe makes perfect sense to me: a distant, freestanding
speaker produces a more localized image (point of origin in space)
than headphones. Cardioid polar patterns cover a smaller field than
omnis.  Matching speaker and micing separations can make these polar
pattern spacing differences more or less apparent.

I've always felt there's a micing/speaker separation trade-off:
"stereo" as tending towards a comparison of two fields and "stereo"
tending towards a unified field where sounders in the middle can be
more predictably localized.  Asking the ears/brain to compare two
field with more difference between them can feel fuller and more
engaging. ORTF at 13" captures a lot more timing and tonal difference
than omnis at 6".  Low Hz presence (125Hz-700Hz) can shift from
speaker to speaker like waves bouncing and interacting in the field
but its hard to sense this spatial quality, if at all, with
headphones.  I can walk around and function pretty normally in space
listening only through binaural headphones where monitoring/moving
around with a 13" card ORTF rig takes a lot more mental adjusting.
Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department