Re: P48 EM23 or P48>PIP adapter ?

Subject: Re: P48 EM23 or P48>PIP adapter ?
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:00:17 +0100
This is my general view on the EM23:

It's not a spectacular device. More or less like the ME62, but smaller and=

runs on Plug In Power. Probably also a few db less self noise.

It can be used in AB stereo, 1-2 meters apart, on your shoulders, glasses
or with different experimental jecklin plate set-up's.

A single EM23 can also be used in a parabol. But that it more tricky, as
you won't have a base filter.

So, as I see it, the EM23 should be made with thin cables into a stereo 3,5=

mm plug and only for Plug In Power. Small and light weight and reasonably
low-cost.

----------------------------

Plug In Power vs. Phantom power:

Phantom Power was made to feed a mic with enough high voltage to polarize a=

membrane, as - for example - a R=F6de NT1A.
To use phantom power to run an electret is somewhat awkward. It can be
done, but there is no point in it. On the contrary!
Take the MT 24/96! When the phantom power converter is running, it uses
some 30-50% current just idling. On top of that, it randomly radiates hf
peaks of various kind.

There are ways to make a electret capsule work better than with a single
FET, and then you need phantom power to run the electronics. But then you
have also made a mic which is more expensive than - for example - the NT1A=

and, still, make more self noise. There is no point in that.

I think there is an attitude among users to consider Plug In Power as
something "amateurish" and of low value. That is not correct. Even a highly=

developed electret running on phantom power would contain a first step Plug=

In Power circuit to make the first impedance conversion.

Klas.

At 04:33 2006-03-11, you wrote:
>Be careful with the MT24/96 phantom power! Under certain circumstances, it
>adds a lot!!! of noise.
>The EM23 work fine at the MT24/96 plug in power 3,5 mm input. Not much
>gain, but enough for ambience and soundscapes.
>
>Klas.
>
>At 23:54 2006-03-10, you wrote:
> > >or maybe a Phantom to PIP adapter already exists ??
> >
> >Sure they do. I wire my PIP mics with 4-pin mini-xlrs that mate with
> >the Shure phantom supplies (they call them preamps). They make one
> >that's straight phantom, another that has a 9V battery but works on
> >phantom when available. I also got a couple of similar barrels from
> >Samson, but they have a different-pinned connector. I thought I could
> >replace the connectors but I haven't figured out how to take them
> >apart yet, so I made adaptor cables.
> >
> >Shure MX183PK (barrel)
> >Shure MX1BP (battery)
> >Samson PM4 (barrel)