30 hours owling

Subject: 30 hours owling
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:06:01 -0000
After 5 hours of driving I arrived at my launch point for a night of
owl recording.

In order to arrange my gear I stopped by the only open business and
street light in a town of about 100.
That was a tavern, of course, as it was about midnight.  I arranged my
gear in the car for a night of recording and as a courtesy I stopped
in with the laptop to run maps and  I ordered a beer.

The bartender glared at me and asked, "what are you up to?".  I
answered "chasing birds". Then, the response was "Well, what are you
up to?" So I responded "A dark tap would be fine". Again the response
was "What are you up to?".  I was at this point a bit perplexed, so I
answered "What do you mean?".  The answer was then "I saw you
stumbling around your car outside so I ask, What are you up to?".
Figuring that nothing now would satisfy this person and not willing to
talk about expensive equipment in the car and as I was just trying to
be polite, I responded "You can deny me service if you like, and I
will be on my way, or you can serve me a tap". So I was served a tap.=20

>From there the bartender asked "where are you from?", still not being
polite.  Being road tired and not on the ball I answered "well here I
guess". I was then abruptly informed "oh no, your not from here".
"Really? How big is your here?", I asked. No response.

>From there I was asked, "What do you do?".  Starting to see this
coming I responded, "Said I was chasing birds, but am open to offers
and suggestions".  The official Old Dude across the bar then tried to
help the bar tender out and stated "Everyone is from somewhere?".  It
was at this point that I figured out I could not possibly explain to
this groups satisfaction what I was doing or why.  I bailed.

I now remember Barb from this group saying the best explanation when a
vehicle slows down when you are Owling is to "take the position" as if
you are a guy and urinating.  I am starting to understand.