Re: Nature Recordists Campout 2006 + Plea for a European Na

Subject: Re: Nature Recordists Campout 2006 + Plea for a European Na
From: "Julius Thyssen" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:26:44 -0000
Volker Widmann <> wrote:
> >When we go further South, to the area where my father lives
> >( http://foto.jult.nl/LotStLaurent.jpg )

> Interesting landscape! Where exactly is it?

It's in the province Le Gard, the Cevennes mountains area.
You can see some fascinating info about it via http://crueize.com/

> Is there any interesting wildlife (apart from the lady :-)?

Yes, a lot actually. Most of it only comes out at night,
but the insects alone are amazing there. I've seen beautiful
grasshoppers the size of XLR plugs ;-)
I can really recommend it for nature recordists, if you dare
to explore, there are stunningly great swimming spots in the
valleys too. Going there between may and september is best.
End of July you can easily camp out without a tent, even.
Summers in the South of France can be just perfect, in my view.
Never too hot for me, never too cold. Very dry, and you'll
always have rocks and mountains to block winds,
never too much danger, a very prosperous culture,
mostly farmers, and they're never in a hurry.

> Yes, France is much better. Much less people on more land
> with many of them concentrated in two big urban areas:
> Paris and Lyon. Yes, I should consider France
> (it's worthwhile for the food alone).

My only problem with France is the language.
I really don't like it very much, and so I've never been
able to speak it the way my parents learned to.
My French decoder is fine, but my encoder sucks..

> My idea would just be that actually meeting likeminded people
> would be very inspiring.

I think so too.
--
Julius