Re: Gear query -- wind protection for NT1A

Subject: Re: Gear query -- wind protection for NT1A
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:18:57 -0600
Hi Romillyh--

A number of NT1A's users have found the Rode supplied shock to be
inadequate for the field. The shock seems to be made for uses where
vibrations are minimal.

The Tensimount shock http://www.tensimount.com/ordering.htm should
work considerably better. Perhaps there's a zeppelin product for the
NT1A I someone can recommend as field-worthy.  The Do- It-Yourself
solutions are cheap and fairly easy to concoct. For wind protection,
you need to fashion a "basket" roughly in a tube shape around the
shock creating about 1/2" to 1.5" of "dead air" space around the mic
body. Next, sew (or safety pin) a sock out of fake "gorilla" fur (or
similar) to slip around the basket. On this page you can see some
solutions that Allan and I cobbled together.
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/DIY_ShockZep_4_NT1A_ORTF/DIY_ShockZe=
p_4_NT1A_ORTF.html

One layer of gorilla fur seems to be adequate. The basket in the
upper right corner is made from vinyl gutter cover which comes in
rolls at larger hardware stores. We both use #64 rubber bands which
do have to be replaced fairly frequently. I've not had success with
foam for wind protection, but I have wedged a small piece of foam or
two between the rubber bands to "dampen" a suspension when there's
too much bouncing. Rob D.