Re: Battery Woes

Subject: Re: Battery Woes
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:27:17 -0000
Steve,
I'd suggest considering that , if you don't mind the weight, purchasing
replacement sealed lead acid batteries from a local electronics supply stor=
one notch above radio shack and giving them your old batteries for recyclin=
g,
would remove  several DIY challenges and may be a bit greener than it appea=
rs.
While there are toxic losses in the process, recycling of lead acid batteri=
es is,
thanks to the car batteries you mention, a large (hopefully still domestic =
and
therefore regulated?) industry. The nearly universal pattern of moving batt=
ery
production to mainland Asia does raise  questions.

U.S. infrastructure for recycling (as opposed controlled domestic disposal =
or
dumping them overseas) NiCd and NiMH batteries appears to still be quite
limited and battery designs focus on operating life and cost rather than
recyclability. Lead and cadmium are more toxic than nickel, but it too is n=
ot a
desirable element for release in quantity (i.e., NiMH is not free from disp=
osal
issues).
If you choose NiMH, you will need a different charger (though faster rechar=
ging
will be possible). It will also be important to be aware of the faster
self-discharge rate of this chemistry (several percent/day depending on
design). Leaving them on the shelf over the winter will put them at risk of=

damage from excessively severe charge depletion.
Bill R.