Re: Re: review tascam HD-P2 from ramps newsgroup

Subject: Re: Re: review tascam HD-P2 from ramps newsgroup
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:45:59 -0600
At 12:49 AM +0100 1/22/06, derek holzer wrote:
>I appreciate the "translation" effort here. But one thing I couldn't
>follow from the original review was how an additional preamp made a
>positive difference in the stereo image. If you are recording two
>discreet channels from the same set of mikes, how can you get different
>stereo images? I could understand if some kind of encoding (M/S) or
>compression (ATRAC, MP3, etc) was used. But not from different preamps
>alone. The only explanation I could think of would be different high-end
>response, or subjective "crispness", which could make a stereo image
>less clear. Any thoughts on this?

Hi Derek--
These distinctions, though of great interest obviously, are still
unclear to me. I tried to see if I could easily hear the much
anticipated difference between the famed "transformer sound" of the
MP-2 pre vs. the new, "transformer-less "pre of the 744T. Can you
tell which is on the left and which is on the right?

http://tinyurl.com/9yxlc

Using maximum gain in a quiet location would have made a more
relevant test and one would hope that the differences would be more
profound in stereo, but I've not really been able to hear anything I
can put my finger on when running the mp2 and the 744T pres side by
side over the last year. I feel that as long as the pre has a noise
bed that is at least 10dBA lower than the self noise of my mics, and
the A-D sounds pleasant, my recordings are better served by looking
into other factors like mic placement, mic quality, 24 bit etc. If
you're still curious:

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/Compare744_MP2_Pres/744_MP2_Compare.=
htm

Rob D.