Re: DVD-R vs. CD-R

Subject: Re: DVD-R vs. CD-R
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:12:55 -0600
Thanks Estelle. The points raised in the pdf are
good ones. I can't remember who first posted the
US Library of Congress Report to the list, but
CD-R/DVD-R longevity also seems to be improved
with certain types of media:
http://scholar.google.com/url?sa=3DU&q=3Dhttp://nvl-p.nist.gov/pub/nistpubs=
/jres/109/5/j95sla.pdf

"Samples containing phthalocyanine performed
better than other dye types. In particular
phthalocyanine combined with a gold-silver alloy
as a reflective layer was consistently more
stable than all other types of CD-R media to new
media."

Burning at 1X or no faster than 2X speed is also
recommended. The last I looked, there are a few
brands of CD-R media with the suggested
reflective layer(s) and dye. For DVD-R media,
Mitsui Silver do qualify; there may be others. I
moved to Mitsui Silver only 6 months ago.

With 2GB sound files and unique DVD-R's up to my
ears, I'm taking Volker's observation very
practically. I'm hoping to locate a fairly low
cost DVD-R "stack burner" that will run through a
50 or a 100 original DVD-R's making one or two
copies of each automatically.

The latest version of Toast (v.7 by Roxio) will
divide-up a folder containing lots of GB's across
as many DVD's or CD-R's as needed. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department