Re: Mic to Mount Outside?

Subject: Re: Mic to Mount Outside?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:35:43 -0600
Hi Jerry-  Continual monitoring of the world outside with a couple of
mics is how I became obsessed with field recording fifteen years ago.
A way to greatly reduce relative ambient background sounds in your
reproduced sound is to consider means of getting the mics close to
favorite perches, feeding spots etc. A "PZM" mic is a type of
boundary mic where the capsule faces way from the elements towards a
collector plate. This makes the mic very resistant to wind with no
fluffy water absorbing protection needed.  If mounted under a small
overhang, they're not bothered by rain or moisture at all. I had a
set of Radio Shack PZM mics outside nailed to two tree trunks under
simple 10" X 10" cedar overhangs for over 3 years and the mics still
work fine today. The PZM design is also less sensitive to secondary
sound reflections (echoes which increases the relative level of
direct sound picked up, like nearby birds.  Another neat feature
about the Radio Shack mics is they can be re-wired to be powered from
phantom power. I ran long cables from my PZM's to a sound mixer
inside that supplied phantom power. I never had to replace batteries
in the mics.  Crown International makes a PZM mic called the "Sound
Grabber II" that runs on one AA battery. Maybe someone can report
whether these mics can be modified to run on phantom power?  Links to
these mics and a possible mixer are below. This mixer will support
four phantom-powered mics so you can set out four mics in prime spots
and have fun adjusting a stereo mix to your liking each day.  The
mixer also has bass tone control knobs for adjusting the amount of
city "rumble" to your tastes.

Here's the link to the mics ($120 a pair):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Microphones/Wireless?sku=
=3D278420

Here's the link to a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 Mixer that would work ($80):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Mixers?sku=3D631236

There are stereo line level outputs on the mixer that will connect to
your recorder's line level inputs.
Rob D.