Re: HiMD battery pack (was: solar battery charging and frog calls =

Subject: Re: HiMD battery pack (was: solar battery charging and frog calls =
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:34:39 -0600
from Madidi, Bolivia

At 7:46 AM -0800 1/19/06, Ariadne Angulo wrote:
>Hi Rob,
>
>Thanks so much for your recommendations. Yes, like
>other members of this list I have also experienced the
>unit's writing to disk sounds, which are easily picked
>up by a sensitive mic. The pouch will isolate the
>sounds, but unless you're dexterous with the remote
>(which I certainly aren't- and by George, couldn't
>they have made those buttons any smaller?) and have
>20/20 eyesight, I still tend to pull the unit out and
>fumble with the equally small buttons on the unit. The
>LCD display is great, but I wish they would have
>colour-marked the control buttons to make night
>viewing a bit easier. I think I will do just that to
>ensure I press the intended buttons.

Its a royal pain. I use a head-mounted flashlight and try not to
recall when I enjoyed 20/20 vision. I suspect Sony had most in mind
being able to slip it into your coat pocket without a thought. By
chance (and perhaps only by chance) they also made a unit that can
make very good quality 16 bit recordings. There,.. feel better?

>I have now obtained most of the components to build a
>2 D-cell pack, including a right angled 2-pin DC power
>plug. I'll try to put this together this weekend. How
>do you protect the cable solder/connections with the
>battery case (other than electrician's tape)?

A couple of dabs of silicon caulk on the contacts and then a wrap or
two of gaffers tape will "work."  Others may have much prettier
solutions to suggest. Getting some strain relief on the sled for the
wires is something to consider with wire length, diameter, etc.
There's a new, higher grade "duct tape"- like product being sold by
Scotch that I'm using a lot these days. Its easier to handle,
thicker, sticks/conforms nicely, seems more waterproof.  It also
un-peels without leaving the sticky junk which is nicer on gear. (I
used the last of the roll and tossed it last week or I'd find the
stock number.)