Re: (gear talk) Seagate 8GB microdrive

Subject: Re: (gear talk) Seagate 8GB microdrive
From: "Vince Jaeger" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:43:09 -0000
Compact Flash for the win!
Just bought a 1gig Sandisk SDCFB-1024-A10 1giger for my HD-p2,
although a 2gig card would have been perfect for my needs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=3DN82E16820171073
(It tested ok for all rates up to 192kHz/24bit/Stereo)

/RVJ

--- In  Gianni Pavan <>
wrote:

> mmhhh, I had very bad experiences with micro-drives...
> Some time ago I bought 2 MagicStore 2.2GB; both had to be replaced
2
> times within the warranty period, and the latest two failed just
when
> the warranty ended.
> All failures happened just while testing before using them in the
field!
> On the contrary I never had problems with the many CF I have. Now
> prefer to have 4x 2GB CFs than 1 8GB microdrive!
>
> Gianni
>

> At 04.06 19/01/2006, you wrote:
>
> >Seagate is offering a new 8GB version of its tiny hard disc.  The
disc
> >fits in a Compactflash Type II slot, making it appropriate for
most
> >digital field recorders.
> >
> >The most attractive aspect of this device is its low price. The
8GB
> >drive's regular price is about $200, but I found that Seagate is
> >offering a $40 rebate if purchase is made by 1/23/06.  That makes
the
> >final price about $160.
> >
> >That's amazing for 8GB of storage!  An 8GB flash memory card from
> >Sandisk or Lexar costs about $800.
> >
> >Here's the link to the page on Amazon.com
> >http://tinyurl.com/7598e
> >
> >The Seagate 8GB drive wil work with with the digital recorders I
> >checked.  One *not* compatible is the Edirol R-1.  It's best to
check
> >with your recorder's manufacturer to confirm it can utilize 8GB of
> >storage.
> >
> > From Seagate's specs, I'd estimate that the mircodrive's
performance
> >will be similar to a 40X Compactflash card, in other words,
sufficient
> >for two channel 24/96 recording.
> >
> >For example, 8GB will hold 4 hours of stereo 24/96 (DVD Audio)
> >recordings. Or a whopping 24 hours of mono 16/48 (DAT quality)
tracks.

> >Microdrives present a couple of issues.  First, a small hard drive
> >uses up power faster than a flash memory device.  Seagate rates
the
> >8GB drive as requiring 350mA to run in most situations.  A solid
state
> >Compactflash requires 10mA or less.  So battery life is an
concern.

> >To address the power consumption issue, a microdrive cycles on
and off
> >as its memory buffer fills up, which could create audible sounds
while
> >you're recording. This would be an issue if the recorder will be
close
> >to the mics.
> >
> >Another issue is the warranty.  Seagate offers a one year
warranty.
> >Solid state Compactflash devices from companies like Sandisk,
Lexar
> >and Kingston have "lifetime" warranties.  This says something
about
> >the durability of the microdrive.
> >
> >Given these issues, I'd prefer to purchase a flash memory card.
But I
> >can't ignore the value and storage capacity that this new Seagate
8GB
> >card offers.
> >
> >--oryoki
> >

> >"Microphones are not ears,
> >Loudspeakers are not birds,
> >A listening room is not nature."
> >Klas Strandberg
> >Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> >--
18/01/2006

> Gianni Pavan
> Email
> Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
> Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
> Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
> Tel      +39-0382-987874
> Fax        +39-02-700-32921