solar battery charging and frog calls from Madidi, Bolivia

Subject: solar battery charging and frog calls from Madidi, Bolivia
From: Ariadne Angulo <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:42:11 -0800 (PST)
Hello folks,

I have not tried them out myself yet, but Canadian
Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/intro/homepage.jsp
takes you to their home page, type in solar panel and
their selection will pop up) has two Eliminator
folding solar panel models at 6.5 W(CDN$ 129) and 12 W
(CDN$ 229). I also seem to recall their advertising a
flexible solar panel, but never actually saw it.

On to a different note: we (Atelopus Initiative, the
project I coordinate with Conservation International)
are planning on holding one of our field courses on
amphibian survey and monitoring techniques near Madidi
National Park in Bolivia next April.

I was wondering if anybody in the list has been to
Madidi and recorded frogs there? We'd like to compile
a list of potential species that we may find at the
sites where we'll be working, and if there are calls
available for them, all the better!

Also, having finally decided to upgrade to digital,
this is the first time I would be taking my newly
acquired MZ RH10 Hi-MD to the field (thanks to all who
provided very useful feedback on this little machine).
I have been playing around with it a bit to get a feel
for it, but I was hoping perhaps to hear
comments/suggestions/recommendations from folks who
have field tested the unit. We'll be in tropical
rainforest, so relative humidity would be close to
100%. I believe we'll have 12 V energy available, but
I do not know how often, so suggestions for
alternative energy sources are also welcome (battery
packs?).

Thanks,

Ariadne Angulo