Cool edit and problems and another question regarding HI-MD files

Subject: Cool edit and problems and another question regarding HI-MD files
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:46:58 -0600
At 8:44 PM -0500 1/15/06, Meena Haribal wrote:

Hi Meena--
I agree with others that some maintenance on your PC might be in
order. Probably best to do this firs, or make sure its not needed
before trying to proceed with your CD project. SonicStage requires
quite a bit of RAM and need plenty of free hard drive space for the
transfers and conversions. Don't worry, its not likely a sound
application would alter a sound file when playing it. Not having
enough RAM, however, can cause it playback with break-up. Don't
throw-away or lose track of those first HiMD>-USB->PC transfers. When
everything is sorted out, they could prove to be fine.

>When transferring files from HI-MD to computer it allows me to do only
>once, but were not deleted.

When you plug headphones into your HIMD, do the parts play distorted
on the PC also play distorted from the HiMD disc?  To the best of my
knowledge, the transfer process is purely a digital one, without
opportunity to introduce noise.

Are the HiMD files you transferred to the PC in the".wav" format?

>As files were still on the disc, I thought I may be able to use it
>via analog to transfer again as some files were distorted and the
>results should be same. But After once transferring via
>USB when I tried to re-transfer some files via analog I got again
>distortion, both in Cool Edit and in super mp3. Also when I was
>watching   transfers of HI-MD files via USB, I found that there was
>increase in memory of the HD disc, meaning some things which were part of
>sound files got deleted.

SonicStage versions 3.2 and 3.3 should not delete material from the
HiMD disk.  Are you using an earlier version of the SS software by
chance?  In either case, I'd do the PC maintenance before proceeding
further. Then make sure you have version 3.2 or 3.3 of SonicStage
installed, if not, perform the update:

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/sonicstage/sstage_dl.asp?l=3Den

There's also a "freestanding" 3.3 version on the HiMD forum. You have
to join the forum in order to access to this download:
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=3D9586

Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D