Cool edit and problems and another question regarding HI-MD files

Subject: Cool edit and problems and another question regarding HI-MD files
From: Meena Haribal <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:44:43 -0500
Hello, Jim, Marc and Frank,
Thanks for your useful suggestions and solutions

I think what you all mentioned are happening all together to some extent.

I) I definitely think now cool edit software is corrupted. I found that as=

far as transferring is concerned it does it fine, but if I replay the sound=

again or if I play the sound file from HI-MD it gets distorted and even
spoils the file. I will reinstall cool edit tomorrow.

2) I tried recording on Super MP3 it worked fine and if I open files only
in Raven 1.1 then it is fine.
So probably it is not the problem of sound card of the hardware

But Raven uses up too much of memory and my computer is kind of having low=

memory. For that  I did increase memory of the hard disk by deleting some
folders then it worked a little faster and also increased memory for
program itself. But it is still excruciatingly slow. Plus I am using USB 2=

hardrive for USB 1.1 connection (it is compatible but slow)

But I have another question, may be somebody has asked this question
earlier, but quick search on archives I did not get any answer.

When transferring files from HI-MD to computer it allows me to do only
once, but were not deleted. As files were still on the disc, I thought I
may be able to use it via analog to transfer again as some files were
distorted and the results should be same. But After once transferring via
USB when I tried to re-transfer some files via analog I got again
distortion, both in Cool Edit and in super mp3. Also when I was
watching   transfers of HI-MD files via USB, I found that there was
increase in memory of the HD disc, meaning some things which were part of
sound files got deleted.

So does anyone know what happens? And once the files have been transferred=

from HI-MD to computer via USB is there any change in quality of the sounds=

that are still on the disc? So what people are doing to save the quality of=

sound or HI-MD files are usable only once?

Thanks in advance.

Meena

Meena Haribal
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Cornell University
159, Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone 607-254-2148
Fax: 607-254-2415
Home 607-277-3536
webpage: http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/mmh3/
http://www.geocities.com/asiootusloe/
http://birds.cornell.edu/cayugabirdclub/
Current Loc: 42o 25' 44.48" N, 76o 28' 16.90" W Elev 816 ft or 248.7 m
Formerly: 19o 0' 41,65" N, 72o 51' 13.02" E Elev 33 ft or 10m