Gulls and boats

Subject: Gulls and boats
From: "XianKiefer" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:21:09 -0000
Folks:

Greetings.  I've been trying to read through the thousands of old posts here to
get a sense
of the breadth of knowledge here and am barely getting a grasp on it all.  I'm
a novice
sound recorder coming from a music studio background with a heavy interest in
recording
ambient sounds--both natural and unnatural.  Current I have a soundproofed
contact mic
frozen in a block of ice in the freezer and I'll be defrosting that and
recording the results
in the next day or so.  (& I'll let everyone know if anything comes of that
whatsoever).

The more pressing issue is that I'm recording an album about the sea (mostly
songs and
some instrumental interludes).  I have some decent recordings of the ocean and
surf that I
did with a portable DAT and a SASS-P microphone.  Like everything I do (perhaps
because
my equipment is relatively cheap and old) it needed some EQing but it's useable
at least.

What I'd like to find is if anyone has any recordings of sea gulls and/or boat
sounds
(creaky ropes, engines, etc.) that I might be able to use as part of this.  I'd
be of course
more than happy to offer credit on the record for the recording but there's no
$$ involved.
We're recording this thing completely on our own.

I hope you'll be patient with me as I utilize this forum to learn how better to
field record.
I'm particularly interested in upgrading my current equipment (in part because
the battery
on the DAT recorder only lasts for about 15 minutes at this point).

Best wishes & thanks very much!

Christian Kiefer
www.christiankiefer.com