Capturing DAT

Subject: Capturing DAT
From: "esandhaus" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:48:53 -0000
Hi everyone!

I am back to the States and am capturing my panda recordings from DAT.
I have been referring to info in the archives of this group, and to
various other sources (such as the old DAT-Heads group). I still have
some specific newbie questions (especially since most of the  stuff I
have read refers to older soundcards and software) that I was hoping
some of you may be able to answer.

I recorded with a Tascam DA-P1 at 16 bit, 48kHz. I am attempting to
use the Edirol UA-25 for capture to the hard drive of my PC for later
acoustic analysis, using Cakewalk Sonar LE (it came with the Edirol
and I'm trying it out for recording, along with some other progs that
have been mentioned here). I realized that the Edirol's "Advanced"
driver mode transfers audio signals at 24 bit, 44.1/48/96 kHz. The
"Standard" driver mode transfers audio signals at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. I
had planned to capture at 16 bit, 48 kHz, since that is what I
recorded at.

If I capture at 24 bit, 48 kHz, what is the process? Will the
integrity of the data be affected (versus capturing at 16 bit)?  I'm
not quite understanding exactly happens to the data as it moves from
DAT recorder to capture device to hard drive. Which leads me to...what
exactly is the *software* doing? If I choose 16 bit on the software,
for instance, but the Edirol is only capable of 24 bit in the advanced
mode that it is in, does the software then downsample?

Also, after I record with Sonar LE, and go to save my work as a .wav
file, my status bar says "mixing down audio" (I think Audacity said
something similar). What format are the data in beforehand? What
exactly is happening during this "mixing down" process (for not just
Sonar LE, but for other software as well)? Are there certain settings
I need to be careful of to make sure that sampling rates aren't
changed, for instance, or that audio effects aren't being used?

One final question...I'm using a coax/optical converter from the DAT
to the Edirol. Does anyone anticipate a problem with this?

Thank you =)

Estelle