Re: Uses of recordings

Subject: Re: Uses of recordings
From: "Richard Humphries" <>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:17:45 -0000
I use the recordings that I have made in my work as a Sound Designer
and Mixer for television. I work on a lot of documentaries, nature or
otherwise, and I have a large collection of sounds I've recorded in
addition to several of the major commercial sound effects libraries
that I use to "sweeten" the soundtrack of the program.

It would probably horrify most of you to find out what we do behind
the scenes of a documentary, in terms of realism (though you probably
already know). Unfortunately, these days, budgets and timelines have
become ridiculously small, so we usually have to make do with whatever
we have on hand. (I used to get two or three weeks to work on the
sound for a 1 hour documentary. Now I get about 3 to 5 days!)

I try to be as accurate as possible given the circumstances and I
spend my free time recording sounds to help me in that effort.

-Richard Humphries