Re: edirol r-4 lower price

Subject: Re: edirol r-4 lower price
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:10:44 -0600
Thanks for the search and recap Derek.  I think
the R-4 exhibits both low gain and low head room
as we see with the stock Marantz's and I believe
also with the R-1. Soberly, it doesn't seem one
could expect to use the R-4's internal mic pres
for high gain applications with mics
having >10dB(A) self noise to record ambience in
quiet locations.  For isolated call recording and
other robust sources, hot mics would produce
plenty of signal to overcome the gain limitations
and probably would not overload the pre like a
music concert, which I assume is Dan's point.
Personally, I'm hoping we'll be able to test the
R-4's line input quality/performance for using it
with external pres as you say.  Normally, I would
not question Edirol's ability to make four
quality, balanced line inputs were it no for the
recent finding that the MT's line input is much
noisier than one would expect.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department