RE: DIY 5X9v bat phantom supply (was low voltage DC phantom

Subject: RE: DIY 5X9v bat phantom supply (was low voltage DC phantom
From: "Allen Cobb" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:08:16 -0600
FYI - Most 9V batteries I've dismantled contain 6 cells that are
close (about 2mm shorter) to AAA cells. Of course, some 9V cases
are more easily ripped open than others... Anyway, that might be
an approach to getting a set of exactly 40 MATCHED cells in a
custom sled of some kind.

One can also fab a snap-holder that would allow 7, 6, or 5 9Vs
to be added in as the voltage droops. With snap-on shorting
strips, of course, as Mike suggests, for the empty snaps. NiMH
are nominally 1.2V, but they reach 1.4 (or even 1.45) if very
fully charged. This "overvoltage" phase is short-lived, and a
small amount of usage drops them to 1.2 very quickly. Then they
fade gracefully for a much longer period.

This page has more info on HiMH batts than you probably wanted
to know:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/nimhbattery-faq.htm#Question%
20#1:

ac