bus phantom power?

Subject: bus phantom power?
From: "Ken Durling" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:35:52 -0000
I'm not exactly sure how to ask this or what specs you need to answer
it, but perhaps it's answerable on principle:  when recording with the
WL-183s - through MX1BP preamps - via my US-122/laptop setup, can the
bus power to the interface also provide phantom power to the mics when
running off the laptop battery? Is there a lot of extra drain on the
laptop battery involved?   The US-122 does have switchable phantom
power, and I suppose the safe thing to do is to leave the 9Vs in the
MX1BPs, as Shure says they switch automatically, but my electronics
theory is insufficient to tell if it's even worth trying to use
phantom power under these circumstances.  Any advice appreciated.
Thanks as always.

best

Ken D