Re: ME66/67 Distant Flocks

Subject: Re: ME66/67 Distant Flocks
From: Steve Pelikan <>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:11:44 -0500
Ken:

Sounds like a neat project! I first got interested in recording birds
when I made a tape of a flock of Sandhill Cranes landing around me in a
cornfield.

Is it possible that you could anticipate the location of one of your
flocks? Then you could setup and start the recorder, and either hide or
leave, returning after the birds have arrived (or departed). That'd give
you the opportunity to try out a variety of microphone combinations and
geometries. And being closer, you might be able to use omnis that would
be less sensitive to wind.

All I have is a pair of Me 62's, but I'd try them AB at several
separations and perhaps with a baffle between them and at several
heights above the ground.

Good luck!