Re: Just started recording bird calls and songs.

Subject: Re: Just started recording bird calls and songs.
From: Chuck B <>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:33:58 -0800
Adrian Ganem Sada wrote:

>MANAGEMENT
>
>I have many recordings in cassette that where recorded by my grand father =
>wanted to preserve them for future generations of birdwatchers in the fami=
ly
>and friends. How can I transfer these recordings from cassette to my
>computer as .mp3 files?
>=20

    There's only one way to get them into your computer - play them back
with the best cassette player you have into the sound card (or some kind
of USB connected device like the M-Audio Transit). The sound
recording/editing software on your computer usually records in WAV
format (uncompressed and very large files) but some allow you to record
in MP3 and other formats (TotalRecorder is one). If you have to record
in WAV, then there are programs generally known as 'rippers' that can
convert WAV to MP3 and other formats. I recommend dbPowerAmp which is free.
    If the cassette recordings are of high quality, you should consider
saving both the cassettes and a WAV archive because that preserves all
of the original quality. MP3 files lose some quality, depending on how
much compression is used. It's also possible that your grandfather made
some historically important recordings (Imperial Woodpecker? Presumed
extinct since 1956...) that places like Cornell would like to have -
save those tapes!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
Membership, Newsletter, Web manager